There have been many celebrities over the years whose lives had been affected by their exposure to mold. For example, in 1997, American folk rock singer and songwriter Bob Dylan had to cancel a two-week European tour because he got so sick after contracting a serious fungal infection in his lungs.
The disease that made Dylan seriously ill is called Histoplasmosis, a potentially fatal infection caused by the fungus (mold) Histoplasma capsulatum.
A fungal infection that affects primarily the lungs and creates a swelling of the sac that surrounds the heart known as pericarditis. Occasionally, other organs are affected; this is called disseminated histoplasmosis.
If symptoms of histoplasmosis infection occur, they will start within 3 to 17 days after exposure; the average is 12–14 days. Most affected individuals have clinically silent manifestations and show no apparent ill effects. The acute phase of histoplasmosis is characterized by non-specific respiratory symptoms, often cough or flu-like. Chest X-ray findings are normal in 40–70% of cases. Chronic histoplasmosis cases can resemble tuberculosis.(Wikipedia)
Dylan was quoted as saying, “I’m just glad to be feeling better. I really thought I’d be seeing Elvis soon.”