For some odd reason, many people around the world and especially here in the U.S. do not think that the common molds found indoors can be toxic, make you ill and can even be deadly. In my hopes to educate some of these people, I have started a media series called the “Faces of Mold,” to show actual real life people who have become ill, maimed and as in this case, lost their eyes, nose, and life due to toxic mold exposure in their homes.
Meet Mark Tatum from Eastern Kentucky. Tatum lost his eyes, upper jaw, and nose to a fungal infection in 2000 as the result of toxic mold in his home. He became known as “the man without a face” after he became the victim of a very aggressive Mucormycosis (previously called zygomycosis) infection. The molds (fungi) that cause this disease are common indoors, outdoors, and on moldy bread, and spoiled foods. (more…)
“This image is of a 55 year-old Hindu tobacco farmer with fungal growths all over his face and scalp. He was diagnosed with Mycosis Fungoides which is a blood cancer called Cutaneous T-cell lymphoma. The disease was first described by Alejandro Posadas who found that it was caused by the fungus Coccidioides which causes Coccidioidomycosis, aka Valley Fever and is often found in the U.S. Southwest.”
“This image is of a patient with a mold infection in the eye. It is known as Keratitis which is a general term meaning any inflammation of the cornea. The term fungal keratitis refers to a corneal infection caused by fungi. One type of fungus that can infect the cornea is Fusarium. This mold is often found indoors. When Fusarium infects the cornea, the eye disease is referred to as Fusarium keratitis.” (Source: Medscape)
“This image is of a patient with cutaneous (skin) coccidioidomycosis presenting as multiple papules on the face and neck. It is caused by the mold (fungus) Coccidioides immitis which is found commonly in the U.S. Southwest. It is highly infectious and can cause a serious fungal infection known as Coccidioidomycosis. Once it gets this bad, it normally results in the death of the patient.”