This is a sad story about four people who had died after receiving organ transplants at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Presbyterian as a result of fungal infections from mold that was later found in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU).
After these people had died, their autopsies revealed they were infected with mold/fungal infections in their lungs and other organs. A further investigation found mold in the ICU where all the patients were cared for after their surgeries.
They put their utmost trust and medical care in the hands of others, and they died as a result. I can only imagine how many people die every day from fungal infections in moldy hospitals.
A fourth transplant patient who contracted a fungal infection during a mold outbreak at a western Pennsylvania hospital has died, officials said Sunday.
The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center confirmed the death of Che DuVall, a 70-year-old retired glass cutter who was diagnosed with the infection in September, a month after undergoing a double lung transplant.
“We extend our deepest sympathies to his family, as well as to our doctors and nurses who have worked with great compassion and skill to care for him,” UPMC spokeswoman, Allison Hydzik said in a statement. “We again want to reassure our patients that we have taken every possible precaution to make our hospitals as safe as is humanly possible, and have followed all recommendations made by federal and state regulators.”
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has said four organ transplant patients who developed a mold infection at UPMC, likely got it from time spent in a “negative pressure” room normally reserved for those who already had infections. The hospital suspended its transplant program Sept. 21, but resumed it about a week later after a review of procedures and treatments.
Tracy Ann Fischer was young and she was sick. UPMC gave her the new heart she needed to survive. The operation didn’t kill her – her family’s lawyer says mold did.