If the answer is “yes” to any of the following questions, it is possible that there could be hidden mold in your home or building.
* Is there a musty smell in the property?
* If you smell mold that most likely means there is mold in the building. The smell is actually from volatile compounds (VOCs) that fungi/molds create through primary or secondary metabolism that then becomes airborne.
* Are there visible signs of water damage anywhere?
* Has the building ever suffered a leaking basement?
* Are their water stains, discoloration, and or mold growing on the walls, floor and or ceiling?
* Has the property ever suffered a roof leak?
* Are there any water stains on the ceiling? They might look like a yellow type stain on drywall and just brown stains on wood beams.
* Has the building ever suffered a plumbing leak?
* Has the property ever suffered a sink or sewer overflow?
* Look under every sink in the home for signs of water damage, warped boards, insects, and mold smells.
* Has the building ever suffered other water problems?
* Does the property sit at the bottom of a hill and or a slope?
* Buildings that sit at the bottom of any kind of slope without proper retaining walls and water diversion systems will experience flooding and water damage at some point and most often, multiple times in the life of the structure.
* Is the building old, lack of maintenance and dilapidated?
* Normally, a poorly taken care of property most likely means that if they had a leak in the past, they did not take care of it properly or at all.
OCCUPANT HEALTH INFORMATION
If any family members, residents or occupants have experienced any of the following adverse health effects, it may indicate that mold is present in their environment.
Don’t see mold anywhere but you smell mold or are having allergies and or weird health symptoms?
Maybe the mold is behind a wall, under a sink or in the HVAC system?
Moe Bedard is the founder and CEO of Mold Safe Solutions. A full-service Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) company specializing in property water damage, mold inspections, consultations, and mold remediation. If you need help with a project, please call Mold Safe Solutions at 760-818-6830.