WHOTV in Iowa is reporting that a retired law enforcement officer who had worked at the law enforcement academy on Camp Dodge in Johnston, says that his health issues may be related to working in a water damaged building that had mold.
Rod Van Wyk was a law enforcement in Ankeny for 35 years and now he’s sick.
The 65-year-old told WHOTV News that he knew there was mold and moisture problem “simply because we had a myriad of leaky pipes and leaky roofs.” He went on to describe that there would be turkey pans below the leaking panels to catch the water.
Van Wyk said there was never enough money to properly take care of the building issues. When they did try to fix the leaks and other issues, it’s always been a Band-Aid approach,” Van Wyk said.
He also says that one instructor died from a rare lung ailment. A secretary just retired that has exactly the same rare lung disease that worked in proximity with him.